Sharia for Dummies
by Nonie Darwish
sharia, syariah, dummies,
Imam Feisal Abdel Rauf claims that Islamic Sharia Law is compatible with the U.S. Constitution.
Egyptian-born author Nonie Darwish challenges that claim by providing a list of actual laws she has
drawn from the Sharia book, “Reliance of the Traveler,” which is endorsed by all reputable Muslim
authorities, including the Al Azhar University in Cairo.
“The following Sharia laws are all well-established in Islam,” notes Ms. Darwish, “decided by great
Imams through years of examination and interpretation of the Quran, Hadith and Mohammed’s life.
All are in conflict with the U.S. Constitution’s protections and deprive people of freedoms: of speech,
conscience, equality of all people before the law, and/or equality of the rights of women with men.”
1. It is obligatory for a Muslim to lie if the purpose is obligatory. That means a Muslim is obliged
to lie if it is for the purpose of fulfilling Allah’s commandments, such as jihad. No guilt or
shame should be associated with this kind of lying, which has become an instinctive defensive
mechanism among Muslim to protect Islam.
2. Jihad defined a “to war against non-Muslims to establish the religion” is the duty of every
Muslim and Muslim head of state (i.e., Caliph). Muslim Caliphs who refuse jihad are in violation
of Sharia and unfit to rule.
3. A Caliph can hold office through seizer of power (meaning through force).
4. A Caliph is exempt from being charged with serious crimes such as murder, adultery, robbery,
theft, drinking and, in some cases, rape.
5. Man-made governments, such as democracy, and free speech, such as criticizing Quran, are
abominations and must be eliminated.
6. A percentage of Zakat (alms) must go towards jihad.
7. It is obligatory to obey the commands of the Caliph, even if he is unjust.
8. A Caliph must be a Muslim, a non-slave and a male.
9. The Muslim public must remove the Caliph if he rejects Islam.
10. A Muslim who leaves Islam must be killed immediately.
11. A Muslim will be forgiven for murder of: 1) an apostate; 2) an adulterer; 3) a highway robber,
thus making vigilante street justice and honor-killing acceptable.
12. A Muslim will not get the death penalty if he kills a non-Muslim, but will get it for killing a
13. Blasphemy of Islam, Muslims, Sharia, Quran or Hadith is punishable by fines, imprisonment,
flogging, amputation, or beheading. Use of derogatory remarks of Mohammed is punished with
14. Sharia never abolished slavery, or sexual slavery, and highly regulates it. A master will not be
punished for killing his slave.
15. Sharia dictates death by stoning, beheading, amputation of limbs, flogging even for crimes of
sin such as adultery.
16. Non-Muslims are not equal to Muslims under Sharia. They are given three choices: convert, live
as debased third-class citizens, or be killed.
17. Non-Muslims are to comply to Islamic law if they are to remain safe. They are forbidden to
marry Muslim women, publicly display wine or pork, recite their scriptures or openly celebrate
their religious holidays or funerals. They are forbidden from building new churches, or building
them higher than mosques. They may not enter a mosque without permission. A non-Muslim is
no longer protected if he leads a Muslim away from Islam
18. Non-Muslims cannot curse a Muslim, say anything derogatory about Allah, the Prophet, or Islam,
or expose the weak points of Muslims. But there is no law prohibiting Muslims from cursing non-
19. A non-Muslim cannot inherit from a Muslim. It is a crime for a non-Muslim to sell weapons to
someone who will use them against Muslims.
20. Banks must be Sharia-compliant and interest (earning/paying) is not allowed.
21. No testimony in court is acceptable from people of low-level jobs, such as street sweepers or
bathhouse attendants. Women in low level jobs, such as professional funeral mourners, cannot
keep custody of their children in case of divorce.
22. A non-Muslim cannot rule even over a non-Muslim minority.
23. Homosexuality is punishable by death.
24. There is no age limit for marriage of girls; and the marriage contract can take place anytime after
birth and be consummated at age 8 or 9.
25. A husband is allowed to beat his wife.
26. Rebelliousness on the part of the wife nullifies the husband’s obligation to support her.
27. Divorce is only in the hands of the husband, is as easy as saying “I divorce you,” and becomes
effective even if the husband did not intend it.
28. There is no community property between husband and wife, and the husband’s property does not
automatically go to the wife after his death.
29. A woman inherits half what a man inherits.
30. A man has the right to have up to 4 wives, and she has no right to divorce him even if he is
31. Marriage is a buyer/seller contract whereby the dowry is given in exchange for the woman’s
32. A man is allowed to have sex with slave women and women captured in battle; and if the enslaved
woman is married, her marriage is annulled.
33. The testimony of a woman in court is half the value of a man.
34. A woman loses custody of her children if she remarries.
35. To prove rape, a woman must have 4 male witnesses.
36. A rapist may only be required to pay the bride-money (i.e., dowry) without marrying the rape
37. A Muslim woman must cover every inch of her body (which is considered “Awrah,” a sexual organ).
Not all Sharia schools allow the face of a woman exposed.
38. A Muslim man is forgiven if he kills his wife at the time she is caught in the act of adultery.
However, the opposite is not true for woman since he “could be married to the woman he was
39. There is no retribution for one who slays his offspring. Even though Islam abolished killing infant
girls, this law, though mostly unused, is significant in supporting honor-killing of daughters.
40. Sharia orders death for both Muslim and non-Muslim critics of Muhammad, the Quran and Sharia itself. It severely punishes free speech which is unprotected in the Islamic State.
Nonie Darwish is the founder of Former Muslims United and author of the book,
Cruel and Usual Punishment: the Terrifying Global Implications of Islamic Law.
Clare Boothe Luce Policy Institute, 112 Elden St, Ste P, Herndon VA 20170
source : http://cblpi.org/ftp/Policy%20Express/ShariaforDummies.pdf
Sharia for Dummies
August 27, 2010 by 122 Comments
Nonie Darwish is the author of The Devil We Don’t Know; The Dark Side of Revolutions in the Middle East and President of FormerMuslimsUnited.org.